Indigo Adopt a School benefiting the Indigo Love of Reading Foundation
Did you know that most of our school
budgets don't allow for one book per child?
We want each child to have at least one book.
Our goal is to put books into the hands of children in disadvantaged communities across the country and build lifelong literacy skills. That’s why we focus on school-library underfunding and children’s literacy in two key ways: the Adopt a School program and the Indigo Love of Reading Foundation.
Over 40% or 9 million Canadians have low literacy
“Being literate is a key ingredient to a diversified economy, good standard of living and a healthy community.”Julie Miller, Principal Lundar School, Lundar, MB
We believe a book can change a child’s life forever. By giving books to schools in the most disadvantaged communities, we are helping build a child’s lifelong love of reading and learning.
Adopt a School
Every autumn, for three weeks, our program unites Indigo employees, customers and their communities in raising money to rejuvenate elementary-school libraries across Canada. Since launching in 2009, we’ve put more than 80,000 books into the hands of children at 459 schools.
Indigo Love of Reading Foundation
Each year, Love of Reading grants $1.5 million to 20 high-needs elementary schools to transform their underfunded libraries. Since 2004, the Foundation has committed $12 million dollars to 130 schools. Within the first year of the grant, children’s literacy scores improve, and their confidence and self-esteem are strengthened.
Our Challenge: Canada’s Literacy Issue
- Over 42% of Canadians are functionally illiterate and struggle with day-to-day reading tasks.
- A large number of Canadian children don’t own a single book. Their school libraries are their only access to books.
- Current school-library budgets allow for about a third of a book per student. That’s all.
- 72% of parents say their schools fundraise to support their libraries.
- $1,000 is the average amount each teacher spends out-of-pocket yearly to buy books and learning materials for students.
Join Us and Get Involved
Help us build a future where children have the literacy skills they need. Become part of our Adopt a School program, and either sign up your school or support a school. If you are a high-needs elementary school, apply for the Indigo Love of Reading Foundation Literacy Fund.