We believe a book can change a child’s life forever.
By giving books to schools in the most disadvantaged communities, we are helping to give every child the chance to build a lifelong love of reading and learning.
Why Children’s Literacy Matters
- Over 42% of Canadians are functionally illiterate.
- A large number of Canadian children don't own a single book. Their school libraries are their only access to books.
- Current school-library budgets allow for less than one book per child.
- 72% of parents say their schools fundraise to support their libraries.
- $1,000 is the average amount each teacher spends out-of-pocket yearly to buy books and learning materials for students.
Adopt a School Program
For three weeks every fall, our program unites Indigo employees, customers and their communities in raising money to rejuvenate elementary-school libraries across Canada. Together, since 2009, we've put more than 350,000 books into the hands of children at 2,000 schools.
Indigo Love of Reading Foundation
In addition to Adopt a School, each year, the Foundation grants $1.5 million to Canadian high-needs elementary schools to transform their underfunded libraries through the Indigo Love of Reading Literacy Fund grant. Since 2004, together with Indigo customers and employees, we've committed over $18 million dollars to 215 schools.